When submitting printable PDF materials, please check the following:
1. IMAGE RESOLUTION
Continuous-tone image resolution should follow the limits for 1:1 sized images mentioned below.
- Digital printing 200–300 ppi
- Offset 300 ppi, in art prints (stochastic rasterisation) 450 ppi
For line art, the recommended resolution is 1,200 ppi for all printing methods.
Sufficient image resolution
2. BLEED MARGINS 3 MM
All materials must come with 3 mm bleed margins. Without bleed margins, there may be unwanted white areas on the edges of the printed product.
Don’t forget about bleeds
- Fonts must be complete and embedded in the PDF.
- Fonts included in graphic files are most likely to work when converted into paths.
- Reverse types (white text on a coloured background) of less than 10 points must be discussed with the printer due to a possible misalignment affecting the readability of the text.
If you’re unsure, please ask
4. LINE THICKNESS
The smallest recommended line thickness is 0.25 pt. Narrow lines should not be used for multi-colour, rasterised or reverse printing.
For four-colour works, we recommend that you define the colours as process colours (CMYK), only any additional colours are defined as SPOT/PANTONE colours. For digital printing, you can also use RGB colours in the images: our default profile for RGB images is sRGB. Be sure to always embed RGB and CMYK profiles in PDF files.
Our recommended CMYK colour profiles:
- coated paper: IsoCoated_v2, Coated FOGRA 39
- uncoated paper (offset only): IsoUncoated, PSO Uncoated
If you are using RGB materials, we recommend that you submit a layout package.
6. CREATING A PDF
Regardless of the printing method, please note the following:
- Always include cutting lines in the PDF (with a 3 mm margin)
- The material must be centred on the page
- All pages must have the same size and same orientation
Please note that PDF proofing and any additional work due to it will be invoiced work unless otherwise agreed.
Please do not use overprinting for any other partial colour than black. Ask for more information if you’d like to use overprinting for other colours.
8. FOUR-COLOUR BLACK
Please do not use four-colour black (= Registration black of layout programs).
9. DIE CUTTING
- Materials that need to be cut into shape must have cutting lines with a spot colour named ”Cut_1” (line colour C0 M100 Y0 K0) and overprinting. Ask for further instructions if necessary.
- The die cutting line must be a single continuous line, not several separate pieces.
- If possible, submit the material with and without the die, making it possible to use the material with as many different printing methods as possible.
10. MATERIAL SUBMISSION
Please submit the material as agreed beforehand. We recommend that you pack the material into one .zip file.
- You can submit the material by e-mail. You can find city-specific material submission addresses on the contact page of our website.
The recommended max. size is 10 MB.
- Works both with a web browser and via an FTP client.
- http://transfer.grano.fi – for temporary material transfers, the user can log in with a public username. Both the username and the password are “vieras”.
- After the transfer, please notify your contact person by e-mail.